__NOTITLE__ Studying 2014/2 PHI110: Philosophy, Morality and Society. Week 12. Undertaken Study Period 2, 2014. Content is quoted and/or summarised from the university website in fair dealing for purpose of research or study. See also: StudyWISE and AIMS.
Justice, Immigration and Refugees
In this final week, we will be looking at debates in the literature on justice about what obligations the citizens of a nation have to refugees and asylum seekers seeking assistance from that nation.
If we do have such obligations, what grounds those obligations?
We will also examine the concept and significance of citizenship.
Herewith a list of further reading:
- Web link: UN 1951 Refugee Convention (original) -- UN page with the 1951 Refugee Convention available for download, as well as related links and documents.
- Web link: UNHCR Press Release -- The UNHCR press release discussed in lecture 23.
- Australian Citizenship Booklet (original) -- The Australian Citizenship Booklet, 'Australian Citizenship: Our Common Bond', in pdf.
Lecturer for Section 3: Prof. Catriona Mackenzie.
Readings downloaded from e-Reserve.
- Manne, Robert. "Sending them home: Refugees and the new politics of indifference" Australian Quarterly Essay, 13:, 2004, 1-95 (original)
- Dummett, Michael. "Some general principles" in On Immigration and Refugees, Dummett, Michael, 2001, 4-21 (original)
- http://www.lib.mq.edu.au/e-access/document.php?save=1&eid=81087 (original)
TODO: answer the reading questions.
- Self Test Quiz - Week 12 Justice, Immigration and Refugees
- Discussion forum for Week 12: Justice, Immigration and Refugees
- Week 12 review: What have you learnt? (original)
Things to do, most important on top:
- Listen to the Lectures
- Read the Lecture notes
- Read the Questions
- Read the Readings
- Answer the Questions
- Do the Activities
Things that are done, most recent on top:
Herewith a list of new and/or interesting words and selected definitions: